Red Dog

Red Dog

Monday, May 23, 2011

Cruelty or Discipline?

The other day I saw my friend Keisha the malamute riding on top of the neighbor's truck. According to my friends, he is now taking her to work with him, tied to the top of the tool box in the back of his pickup.When she is home, sometimes she is also on top of the truck. When she gets down, she runs around the neighborhood.

I'm kind of torn on this one. Mom never ties me up, ever. She expects me to obey her and stay in the yard or inside the fence. I try to do that, unless of course a cat runs across my field of vision (now that I have developed a couple of cataracts, I don't see them unless they run directly in front of me).

If Keisha would stay home, I don't think they'd have to tie her up. But one of our neighbors doesn't like any dogs but his own and always calls Animal Control on them. Which means Keisha is in danger not only of getting hit by a car, but of going away forever. So her owner ties her up. I wish they knew how to train her, because she is a real looker. Sleek, fast, beautiful.

Cruelty has a fine line. The rope that keeps her from running could also kill her if she happens to jump off the truck while tied. That bothers me. I've sniffed her and Mom has checked her out and she doesn't have any signs of abuse. But I still worry.

People are similar to Keisha, did you know that? Trying to control people often results in their destruction. People are better off free, with the ability to learn and grow. Whether it's the government or other people or relatives who try to control them, the lessons needed for maturity can't happen unless they are free to make the mistakes that will help them overcome their own problems.

Dogs need obedience training that is filled with discipline and exercise and compassion. People aren't much different. They need compassion, discipline , exercise, and understanding to help them move forward. Cruelty, on the other hand, or controlling behavior, never works for either.

No comments:

Post a Comment