Red Dog

Red Dog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Easter for Animals

Hi everyone. Since Easter weekend is about redemption and new life, I thought I'd give some of my insights. Animals look forward to a day of redemption too.

One of Mom's friends once looked at her Newfoundland and said "hey, this one would feed a whole village." Yikes! It's hard to imagine for Americans that many of the world's cultures once thought of "pet" dogs as food sources. Even the really skinny ones!

In America, whole causes are built around saving pets from euthanasia. But the fact remains that many of my cousins die in shelters. I know that being inside of a shelter is frightening. There are cats and dogs and stinky cages and a constant din of noise everywhere. While the people who run the shelter are usually very nice, there is an emptiness that comes over the dogs who come in there. I know because that's what happened to me.

My owners couldn't take me to their new home. I don't know why and I don't understand, but they dropped me off at the shelter and I never saw them again. I felt abandoned and lonely. It was like being dropped in the middle of prison with no preparation. And I was surrounded by strangers.

Then one day this couple came in with a big black Newfy. They specifically asked for me! They said they read about me on the internet and wanted to take me home with them. So the shelter lady came and took me out of the cage and walked me into the lobby area. No problem. I took one look at Mom and knew they were my friends for life.

She bent down and scratched my ears and ran her fingers through my fur...I knew this was my home forever. After a short walk with my new housemate "Zeke," the shelter folks let me go home with them. And I have been happy ever since. I know that I am loved!

Point is, that this is Easter weekend. Easter is about redemption and the giving of life. Jesus came to save people, and give them His love. Animals, too need salvation. Won't you think about adopting a shelter pet? There are so many who need love and caring people to save them from death. They would be so grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment