Red Dog

Red Dog

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Diabetes

Some kinds of diabetes require insulin injections every day. Animals are the best example. I have to have 36 units every morning and night. Normally Mom gets up and gives me the shot then goes back to bed. Something went wrong this morning and she didn't get up at her usual time. I was starting to worry a little bit when Dad showed up and took care of it.

(Sometimes other people are a little heavy handed on the needle- Mom is very gentle. Oh, well, at least I'm alive to complain about it.)

I only get dog food these days, and way fewer treats than I used to get. And no gravy or grease. I miss those. Eating table scraps probably got me in this position, but there's a genetic factor too.

You people out there need to know that diabetes is no fun at all. Sometimes I don't run up stairs very well, and sometimes too long a walk makes me ill. Mom hates it if I throw up on her rugs. She's never yelled at me for it, but she isn't too happy about it. I can tell by her face.

Diabetes also affects my teeth and breath ( I can knock people over with the nasty smell from my mouth). And my vision and hearing aren't as good as they used to be. Mom gives me Lutein sometimes to help my eyes, but I'm pretty sure they're fading a little. And she brushes my teeth a lot to keep me from losing them. Mom prays for me all the time.

One day we were out walking with Aunt Allison and Riley Sue. It was a great time, walking through the alfalfa field. But we went too far and it was hot out. By the time I got home, I was really sick. Diabetes really messes with stamina, both for people and dogs. Point is, to all of you humans out there, stop feeding sweets and human food to your dog!

The other day I saw a fat Jack Russell terrier! They're so hyper it's hard for them to get fat, so the owner must be feeding him a lot of treats. Cut it out! Diabetes is no fun! I am living longer than they said because Mom loves me and takes good care of me...but please take better care of my cousins ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment