Red Dog

Red Dog

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Saving Humans

There are all sorts of working dogs out there who are trained to help humans: service dogs, guard dogs, bomb sniffing dogs, drug sniffing dogs, herding dogs, etc. But there are a few of us that just happen to be in the right place at the right time. Take yesterday, for example.

I took Mom for her daily HHW in the snow. It has been snowing around here for several days and it's getting pretty deep in some places. The county plowed our roads, but then it snowed about 4 inches on top of it, so now it's a big sheet of ice with frosting on it. I have 4-paw drive and even I had trouble staying upright. (Mom's friend Nick calls it "staying vertical.")

As we turned a perfectly level corner on the last leg of our walk, Mom fell on her knees. I'm not sure of human anatomy, but I have heard that their knees are pretty vulnerable to damage at her age. (Sorry Mom). I thought she was going to pass out for a minute, so I just pushed up against her and sat down beside her in the snowbank. She used my back to push herself up, then I pulled her forward with the leash and we made it home just fine!

Later she said something about not being able to get up without me. That felt good. If I can't herd sheep, at least I can herd people.The point is, my human friends, if you treat your dogs right, they'll be there for you. Of course, tiny dogs would have a little trouble being used as a bench to push up from, but they can bark and go get help. In essence, nearly all of us are "working dogs" in some fashion.Even if all we do is give you humans a place to lower your blood pressure be petting us, it's still work.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and didn't give too many treats to my cousins!

No comments:

Post a Comment